B.A. from Stanford University in English/Creative Writing with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Twenty years’ experience with multiple facets of writing and marketing as a published author, blogger, founder of an apparel/accessories brand, and literary agent.
LITERARY AGENT Palo Alto, CA
Manus & Associates Literary Agency
August 1997 – April 2009
- Spotted and developed new literary talent from writer submissions and writers’ conferences.
- Edited client manuscripts and proposals and created pitch letters for publisher submissions.
- Negotiated publishing terms, from deal points to finished contracts.
- Managed agency internship program: selected interns via rigorous editorial process, trained interns to assess manuscripts for literary and commercial viability, wrote recommendation letters to place interns into the publishing job market.
CROCHET DESIGNER, COPYWRITER, SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER San Francisco, CA
Twinkie Chan, Inc.
October 2005 – Present
- Creator of the “Twinkie Chan” brand/persona as a crochet designer and lifestyle blogger. Built cult following from scratch by personally handling all branding, social media, marketing, and customer service. Instagram: 41k, Facebook: 25k, YouTube: 17k, Twitter: 11k.
- Blogger/influencer hired to collaborate with major craft, fashion, and “cute culture” brands – such as Michaels Stores, Lion Brand Yarn, and Sanrio – to promote their products and event launches with original crochet patterns, blog posts, photos, videos, and social media takeovers.
- Created crochet tutorial content for YouTube and was approached by Creativebug.com to film in their studio for several crochet series in 2016.
- Published books: “Twinkie Chan’s Crochet Goodies for Fashion Foodies,” Andrews McMeel, 2010. “Twinkie Chan’s Crocheted Abode A La Mode,” Creative Publishing International, 2016. Additionally, wrote patterns and guest columns for craft magazines such as Crochet Today, Mollie Makes, and Simply Crochet.
- Invited to teach crochet and speak about branding/business at craft conferences such as Vogue Knitting Live and Craftcation.
LEAD DESIGNER, COPYWRITER, SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER San Francisco, CA
Yummy You! by Twinkie Chan
May 2010 – Present
- Led the expansion of Twinkie Chan Inc. from handmade on Etsy to a licensed brand sold nationwide at shops such as ModCloth, Sanrio.com, The NYLON Shop, Fab, ThinkGeek, and Hot Topic.
- Wrote all copy for product and marketing materials, handled all customer service, and directly managed my assistant for social media and blogger outreach.
- Designed and handmade all crochet samples for factory production and liaised with partners and factories on sampling and approval.
- Created graphic art and layouts for Yummy You! merchandise and online shop, promotional one-sheets, and magazine ads.
STANFORD UNIVERSITY Palo Alto, CA
- Bachelor of Arts in English, May 1998
- Emphasis in Creative Writing (Fiction)
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro X, WordPress, basic HTML
Social media savvy